The global pandemic of COVID-19 is flooding healthcare systems with more patients than they can handle. There is something you can do about this: stay home. Yes, just stay home.
One of the reasons that people (except boomers) care about the virus is that it spreads so easily by asymptotic individuals. Since we can’t outwardly tell who currently has COVID-19 (unlike most flus) we need to isolate ourselves from others and limit our contact with people outside our household. The easiest thing you can do to help fight COVID-19 is by not physically seeing other people, instead call them.
The Self-Quarantine Manifesto
With no well-studied treatment and no viable vaccine available for at least another year, the only effective way to keep the coronavirus pandemic at bay is to give the virus fewer chances of spreading. The following list of actions, ordered from easiest to implement to most effective in the fight against the pandemic, should serve as a set of loose guidelines for people who wish to join the movement and take action that can actually make a difference.
- Don’t panic, but be alert.
- Wash your hands often and practice good cough and sneeze etiquette.
- Try to touch your face as little as possible, including your mouth, nose, and eyes.
- Practice social distancing, no hugs and kisses, no handshakes, no high fives. If you must, use safer alternatives.
- Do not attend concerts, stage plays, sporting events, or any other mass entertainment events.
- Refrain from visiting museums, exhibitions, movie theaters, night clubs, and other entertainment venues.
- Stay away from social gatherings and events, like club meetings, religious services, and private parties.
- Reduce travel to a minimum. Don’t travel long distances if not absolutely necessary.
- Do not use public transportation if not absolutely necessary.
- If you can work from home, work from home. Urge your employer to allow remote work if needed.
- Replace as many social interactions as possible with remote alternatives like phone calls or video chat.
- Do not leave your home unless absolutely necessary.